Our heroes have thwacked a bee’s nest with their efforts to hinder the Damarran embassy. After their successful raid/burglary, several things have happened:
1) Someone who knew about Wanda’s secret entrance utilized it to enter the house and burglarize the heroes. Among the items taken are: 100+ platinum pieces (belonging to Wanda & Lihon), a new logo for the High Street Elites bearing a prominent Red Lightning bolt which Wanda had prepared (though never used) and the official seals and stamp stolen from the Damarran embassy.
2) That someone then put the logo and seals to good use by creating a fake Damarran diplomatic message (stamped and official) which referred to an extortion effort by a local gang along with a handwritten note bearing the new HSE logo threatening a fire if gems were not paid. The note was written in a woman’s hand. Karv is sure that whoever did the forgery was not copying a sample of Wanda’s handwriting.
3) Those documents were then somehow brought to the attention of the King’s Squire, Sir Jornant, who quite angrily made them known to Lihon & Karv. The Squire has “strongly urged” the two to provide evidence that the Red Lightning have no involvement in the events at the Damarran embassy.
4) Mere moments after the party members were able to collect and share these bits of information, a band of street thugs appeared outside their door and ambushed them. While the thugs themselves were only marginally threatening, one of them summoned a minor demon to assist them. The ensuing fight and spectacle has been the talk of Arrabar. Several of the thugs escaped, but not the leader/summoner, a criminal known as ‘Jolly’. He has since confessed to organizing the attack and summoning the demon (from a purchased scroll), all with the intent of murdering Wanda. He did this as revenge for the presumed murder of his gang leader, Dharvek, head of the West Side Sharks. (Alert readers will remember that our heroes attempted to implicate the ’Sharks in the burglary.) (Dharvek is indeed dead, slain by Wanda & Darkpaw after a ruthless interrogation.)
5) Our intrepid adventurers then spent time working on several initiatives -
- Darkpaw has met with a person known to her only as Viktor, who works for the Damarran embassy staff in some sort of capacity. She gave him documents which she told Viktor she gathered from Dharvek, the person who led the burglary. Viktor was appreciative, but reluctant. He expressed interest in any other stolen items she might be able to recover. Darkpaw may have gained an important clue about him when she was trying to impress him.
- Karv & Lihon, through some gifted (some might say damned skillful) boozing around, found out that the West Side Sharks lost a good third of their people in the ill fated ambush which Jolly led. The second in command of the ‘Sharks, named Lumas, hasn’t been seen at all lately while the number three man, Sticky Mickey, has been seen only sporadically in the last couple of weeks.
- Wanda met with the leader of the Crypt Kings. He wanted to discuss the idea of a cooperative partnership/merger with the High Street Elites (to both expand into profitable territories + avoid a hostile takeover by the High Street Elites). What luck! Wanda needs some extra people to help her consolidate the territory of the West Side Sharks. They strike a bargain whereby he becomes one of her lieutenants and has responsibility for about a third of the ’Sharks old territory.
- Wanda gets a visit from a gruff human named Sullivan who works for the Hadrhune. He informs her that she’s late for last month’s AND this month’s payments, totalling 2000 GP. He tells her where these payments are to be delivered normally and advises her that she does not want him to have to come back. Her men seem to know Sullivan by reputation and agree. Wanda checks her funds and sees that her people have brought her 1800 GP. She sets her #2 to the task of finding another 200 from her crew and getting it delivered.
A correction -
Wanda actually paid the full 2000 GP to Sullivan herself on the spot – 1800 in coin from her gang, 100 in coin from her pocket and 100 in a pair of earrings Sullivan indicated would cover the balance. Wanda estimates those earrings were actually worth much more than 100 GP.
- Lihon receives a message from COL Lurshall – “Threat from Feywild is real, please advise if Red Lightning is available to investigate.”
Additional musings in response to James’ protestations:
Point of order. Do we really know this? I would offer that anyone able to get in and out of this room would have had no issue getting into the house another way and likely been as sneaky. For that matter I would offer going through a secret room would be MORE risky as it lets US know they know about it to take measures to protect it.
Do we need to announce new security for the house going forward?
The chair recognizes Wanda -
a) Perception checks performed in the secret room ascertained that there were traces of substances consistent with the sewers, presumably left by the perp(s).
b) Could someone have gotten in and out of the house by the front/back door or windows? Yes. However, coming in through the secret entrance seems to be what was done. For what reason? Perhaps that entrance is easier to get to without observation. Perhaps there was a presumption that traps would be less likely to be used on a ‘secret’ entrance intended to be used during an emergency/in haste. Perhaps the DM is taking perverse joy in exposing the existence of a secret entrance/room into the house. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekov%27s_gun)
c) Perhaps the perp(s) wanted you to know how they got in and out. Perhaps they thought you wouldn’t figure it out. Perhaps they assumed that whatever route they chose to use, you would afterwards take measures anyway.
d) Let’s see – you are a group of adventurers with some known links to the King and the Underworld. Either of those will probably earn you some enemies and you have both. You wear highly expensive magic items and fine clothing crafted from the hides of terrible monsters you have slain. I’d think that any common citizen and/or criminal would assume that your home would be filled with wonderful items, trophies and riches. Surely some sort of protective measure might be called for….
As to the discussion about protecting this home or moving to another home (either purchased or built) – this would be a common problem faced by the rich and noble in Arrabar. There must be ways of dealing with such problems available to those with money and resources, no?
- Hire vetted contractors to install improvements like better locks, traps, enchanted alarms, etc.
- Hire guards
- Place all your valuables in a bank or vault
- Hire a wizard to
- Combinations of the above.
Wanda has already taken the preliminary step of asking her people to quietly patrol the area around the house. There’s no direct cost for this, but there may be a loss of productivity in their earnings.